How it works
The project activity is a grouped project formed by the installation of grid-connected wind power generation. As a grouped project, it allows for several wind power plants to be included within one project – and a limited amount of new plants can be added, as long as they comply with the eligibility criteria set in the Joint Project Description Document. The project reduces GHG emissions by replacing electricity generated from fossil fuels, which would have emitted greenhouse gases.
Offsets Made it Happen
The clean and renewable electricity delivered to the Brazilian Interconnected System provides an important contribution to environmental sustainability by reducing carbon dioxide emissions that would have occurred in the absence of the project.
Other Benefits of the Project
Combusting fossil fuels emit carbon dioxide and nitrogen oxides which contribute to both smog and respiratory illnesses. Therefore, the utilization of wind turbines in place of fossil fuels not only reduces greenhouse gas emissions but also reduces the amount of smog in the region and contributes to improved air quality.
This project contributes to the sustainable development of the region as it sparks economic growth without compromising future generations. Sustainable development activities include:
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the Brazilian Interconnected System
- Providing extra income for landowners, while they can continue using the area for other activities, increasing and diversifying the land productivity
- Stimulating the regional economy by increasing tax revenues for the local government and direct and indirect job opportunities for local workers and service suppliers
- Increasing economic stimulus, which has a positive impact on local infrastructure such as roads, electricity transmission systems, and resources for education
- Utilizing domestic suppliers will improve national technologies and domestic know-how – leading to more wind turbines being able to be produced and installed nationally.
- Creating opportunities for education, professionalization, and employment