Ostrom is the place for smart and passionate people. We’re a small company with lots of interesting people from a wide variety of backgrounds, and we all agree it’s a great place to work.
We believe in:
Integrity: We are honest and transparent, holding strong positions on what is moral and ethical in the pursuit of our climate vision.
Practicality: We prioritize feasible and immediate action based upon real circumstances over abstract considerations.
Thoughtfulness: We bring the best of our collective intelligence and wisdom to every project and relationship.
Optimism: We share hope and confidence that society will successfully act to address the climate crisis and ‘tragedy of the commons’.
As part of the domestic land use team, the Forester will assist in the project design and development of forest carbon offset projects across North America, support validation and verification management, manage methodology development and support the domestic land use team.
This role requires a strong understanding in forestry management, carbon dynamics and issues around the science of climate change and climate policy in BC and across Canada. Knowledge of US inventory management and carbon markets is an asset. This is a full time position, reporting to the Director of Domestic Land Use.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support development of new forest carbon offset projects including project design, development of risk assessments and development of monitoring requirements under provincial and federal carbon programs.
- Working with Indigenous People on Indigenous led project development
- Support verification management of existing forest carbon projects
- Assessing the feasibility of prospective forest carbon projects through desk-based and field research, and preparing feasibility assessment reports.
- Assisting the technical team with geospatial and carbon quantification tasks on an as needed basis
- Conduct forest spatial planning to support feasibility studies and project development
- Support field work related to inventory updates, development of monitoring plans and other aspects related to forest carbon offset project development
- Contributing to quality assurance / quality control through document review
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in forestry
- Field experience working in Canada
- Experience developing forest management plans, establishing forest inventories, Growth & Yield models
- Experience using forest spatial planning software (e.g. Patchworks, Woodstock or other)
- Basic understanding of carbon models
- Written and spoken fluency in English
- 5+ years of relevant professional work experience
- Project management experience
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with MS Office Suite
- Experience with carbon markets, carbon project development
- Knowledge of issues related to climate change, land use, Benefit Sharing Agreements
- Professional Forester designation (or in process)
- Experience with CBM
- Experience working with Indigenous Peoples
- A Master’s Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management or related field
- Strong writing skills
- Demonstrates good business principles and possesses strong presentation skills
- The ability to work with minimum supervision and to make decisions that ensure the success of the deliverable
- Ability to work with a team
Key Reporting Relationship
Reports to: Director of Domestic Land Use
Please send resume and CV to DLUfirstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking for a Senior Bookkeeper that is interested in a diverse experience. This is a full-time 6-month position. The Finance/HR Department consists of the CFO and Controller. The Controller will be on a two-month leave until mid-February. The CFO will be on leave in April and May. The Senior Bookkeeper will take over the bookkeeping duties currently performed by both the Controller and CFO.
The accounting department does not have a high volume of transactions, but it is growing rapidly and is complicated for its size. We are also changing our accounting systems and processes. Therefore, the role will provide variety and challenge. (i.e. you won’t get bored). The position is suitable for an experienced bookkeeper/accountant that enjoys the data entry side of bookkeeping and is skilled enough and experienced enough to excel in an environment that is undergoing a lot of change and challenge.
Full-cycle accounting, including but not limited to:
- Accounts payable data entry and processing bi-weekly cheque runs
- Credit card data entry & reconciliations
- Customer invoicing & payments, and working with the account managers to follow up on overdue invoices
- Complete all payroll administration functions, accounting data entry, and year-end tax reporting
- Bank reconciliations
- Record journal entries and assist with quarter-end and year-end
- Quarterly account reconciliations
- Quarterly GST returns
- Preparation of year-end working papers and assist with annual financial statement audit
- Assist with the preparation of quarter-end and year-end financial statements
Other accounting, administration and HR:
- Assist the CFO with various ad hoc reports as requests come in.
- Assist with special projects including a few major reconciliation projects
- Assist with the implementation and transition to new accounting software, new timekeeping software and new accounting processes.
- Assist with various HR & payroll duties as new staff are onboarded
- Provide administrative assistance
- 5 – 10 years of accounting experience with at least 3 years of bookkeeping experience
- 3+ years of experience with Quickbooks Desktop and/or Quickbooks Online
- Intermediate level Excel skills
- Proficient knowledge of MS Word and Outlook
- Must have strong technical knowledge of full-cycle bookkeeping
- Excellent understanding of payroll, bookkeeping and record-keeping practices
- Experience preparing audit working papers
- CPA designation preferred
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Proven skills and command of Quickbooks Desktop & Quickbooks Online software
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets including pivot tables, Excel tables, filters, naming cells, SUMIF formulas
- Proven ability to calculate, post, and manage accounting figures and financial records
- Data entry skills along with a knack for numbers
- Strong ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering financial data
- Ability to manage, prioritize and multi-task in a business environment.
- Takes the initiative to problem solve
- Ability to work effectively in resource-constrained and/or unpredictable environments
We are an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability status.
Work location: Applicant must be located in the Lower Mainland. The first month or so will require in-office training. Once training is completed, the applicant can work either remotely or from the office.
Benefits of working for Ostrom Climate:
- Flexible schedule
- Work from home or office
- Supportive team environment
Please submit a CV (file name: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_SrBookkeeper2021_CV.pdf) and a Cover Letter (file name: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_SrBookkeeper2021_CoverLtr.pdf) to FinanceJobs@ostromclimate.com.
Do not apply if you do not meet all of the qualifications. Applicants who do not follow instructions will not be considered.